Back from an awesome trip to Chitkul, Sangla and Kalpa in the last week of June. Since this is not a travelogue, i am posting this in photography section. But for info i have given a short details of the trip too.
Traveller: Me, my wife and 1 year old Ishaan.
Car: Skoda Fabia
Eqipments used: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40 F4 L IS, Canon EF 50 F 1.8, Canon EF 100-400 F4.5 -5.6 L IS, Lee 0.9 GND Filter and filter holder, Targus Tripod
Day 1: June 23, 2012
Start: Dwarka Sector 22, New Delhi at 6:45 AM.
Stop 1: Karnal KFC off NH1 at 8: 45 AM.
Stop 2: Solan at 1:30 PM.
End: Theog at 6:30 PM. 418 kms
Stayed at Pankaj Villa on Left Hand Side of the NH22 after the Petrol Pump at Theog.
Rooms are acceptable. Food is bad.
Highlights of Day 1:
• Smooth travel in the plains.
• Awesome Himalayan Expressway from Zirakpoor to Parwanoo.
• Traffic Jam in Shimla made us waste almost 2 hours.
• Sudden bad weather at Kufri and with fog and heavy rain visibility comes down to few feets.
• No rooms available in Fagu, Kufri.
Day 2: June 24, 2012
Start: Theog at 7:30 AM.
Stop 1: Narkanda at 8: 30 AM.
Stop 2: Karchaam at 2:00 PM.
End: Chitkul at 3:45 PM. 226 kms
Stayed at Pancholi Resort at Chitkul. Best Location in Chitkul because it is at the end of the valley. No man made things beyond this building.
Rooms are good. Food is good since i am a bengali and all the cooks are bengali.The major tourists i found are from Kolkata and that is the reason for keeping bengali cooks. Really a surprise for us.
Highlights of Day 2:
• Smooth travel from Theog to Bhavanagar which is comes after Rampur.
• Cool weather upto Narkanda and heat in Rampur.
• Very bad road from Bhavanagar ( 2 kms ahear of bhavanagar) to Karchaam.
• Mixed road condition from Karchaam to Chitkul. Roads in this stretch is narrow.
• Awesome views during drive from Karchaam to Chitkul.
Day 3: June 25, 2012
Chill out at Chitkul. Walks by the river, photography and enjoy the nature.
Day 4: June 26, 2012
Start: Chitkul at 8:45 AM.
Stop 1: Rakcham at 9:45 AM.
Stop 2: Sangla at 11.00 AM.
End: Kalpa at 1:30 PM. 77 kms
Stayed at Kinner Villa at Kalpa. Awesome location in Kalpa because it is at the top of the roadhead. Clean view of the Kinner Kailash Range.
Rooms are good. Food is good. Awesome terrace in front and a nice place to chillout. Truly amazing Experience.
Highlights of Day 4:
• Nice laid back photo trip from Chitkul to Sangla.
• Nice road after Karchaam for about 5 kms.
• Kalpa is high in the hills and it feels that one can touch the peaks by stretching the hands.
• Mixed road condition overall.
Day 5: June 27, 2012
Kool day in Kalpa.
Day 6: June 28, 2012
Start: Kalpa at 7:45 AM.
Stop 1: Rampur at 12:00 Noon.
Stop 2: Narkanda at 2:15 PM.
End: Shimla at 4:15 PM. 236 kms
No rooms in Narkanda. So came all the way to Shimla. Stayed at the Sea Rock Hotel in Mall Road.
Highlights of Day 6:
• Bad roads from Karchaam to Bhavanagar.
• Drive was smooth otherwise.
Day 7: June 29, 2012
Start: Shimla at 7:45 AM.
Stop 1: Zirakpur at 10:30 Noon.
End: Dwarka Sector 22, New Delhi at 3:00 PM. 396 kms