Thailand is the top most tourist destination by country in South Asia. No doubt with rich culture, history, great beaches and dive sites this has to be number one. Explore the beautiful Andaman Coast of Thailand and dive into the islands of Phi Phi and jagged coastline of Railay. Head out for a dive lesson in the gulf coast island of Koh Tao and then relax in the luxury resorts of Samui.
The gulf coast of Thailand is known for the Scuba heaven Koh Tao and the beach resort paradise Koh Samui. It does not stop here and continue onto the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan and dive the deeps of Sail Rock. A truly amazing destination for a week or month or a year.
The pearl of the tourism in Thailand is Phuket. But beyond this huge island are the real hidden destinations which many people miss. The island of Phi Phi is a gem and the beaches around Krabi are out of the world. A week spent in the Andaman Sea will be one of the best you have experienced till date.
Why should you visit Thailand?
The beaches of Thailand are simply stunning. The colors are brilliant and underwater is even more beautiful. If beauty of nature is not sufficient to inspire you then the Thai food will surely make you visit the country. Add to this the cheap expenses for everything compared to any destination in mainland India or the super pricey Andaman Islands or Lakshwadeep. Planning a trip to Thailand is easier than visiting Andaman or Lakshwadeep the only places in India where waters are as beautiful as Thailand.
When to go?
The high season of Thailand is November to March. The shoulder season is April to June and September to October. If you are looking for cheaper prices, shoulder season is best but weather is simply amazing in high season.
How many days?
A week is minimum for each coast of Thailand. To know how to spend a week in eastern gulf coast or the western Andaman sea read our trip reports. If you are visiting first time and interest is beautiful natural scenery then we would say “go to phi phi and krabi“. In case you love adventure and want to learn diving then head out to Koh Tao.
How to avoid Traps?
Do not get fooled by cheap advertisements in websites and newspapers which give you “Bangkok and Pattaya“. Bangkok is beautiful but if you want to see real beauty of Thailand, then move beyond these and head out to the sea. While most Indians do not do requisite study and rely on operators to give them a package, you find everyone ending up shopping and visiting bangkok city only. We rarely encountered any Indian in the trips to the islands.
The beautiful Chewang Beach in Koh Samui.
Samui is a great family destination with many attractions from amusement parks to temples to clean beautiful beaches and dense jungles with roaring waterfalls.
The view of Koh Nangyuan is worth millions
The famous Maya Bay, Phi Phi
Phi Phi Don
People generally stay at Phuket and make a day trip. Better is to stay in Phi Phi and enjoy few days in the paradise. The beaches are beautiful and great fireworks at night for entertainment. Do not miss the viewpoints at Phi Phi Leh.
The breathtaking Krabi.
If you have seen the bollywood movie “Kaho Na Pyar Hai” then you will remember Krabi. This beautiful part of Thailand was the setting of the scenes from the movie.
The colors of Chicken Island
The view of Wat Arun
The ancient capital Ayuthaya. Do you know that Ayuthaya is Thai of Ayoddha, the capital of Lord Rama.
VISA: Indians get visa on arrival at Thailand.
Flights: Cheap flights are available almost from all major cities to Bangkok. Air Asia, Indigo and Spicejet are good options to save money.
- Buy beer at 7-11 stores rather than the bars.
- Eat the tasty street food.
- Do not pre-book tours before you reach your destination. Shop around for the best bargain.
- Fly in to Bangkok and then onward to Phuket
- Spend couple of days in Phuket – explore the beaches and the shopping and food.
- Ferry to Phi Phi and spend couple of nights in the island.
- Ferry to Krabi and explore the nearby islands for couple of days before flying out.
- Fly in to Bangkok and then onwards to Surat Thani or Koh Samui. If Surat Thani, then take the ferry to Koh Samui.
- Spend couple of days in Koh Samui and explore the island and food.
- Head to Tao and spend 3-4 days diving the seas and also get certified if not.
- Ferry to Surat Thani and fly back to bangkok.
- Spend 2 days exploring the temples by the day and the nightlife and food when sunsets
- day trip to Ayuthaya
- Start in Bangkok with 3 days there for the city and Ayuthaya.
- Fly to Phuket and onwards to Phi Phi and Krabi for a week.
- From Krabi take bus to Surat Thani and onwards to Koh Tao for diving.
- Stay a night or two in Koh Samui before flying out.